Some of the properties of Carbon fiber composites as used in BST wheels:
- Material used – Carbon fiber Prepreg in a woven and unidirectional format, embedded in a resin matrix, made from toughened epoxy.
- Max structural temperature: 100 degrees C
- Min structural temperature: -40 degrees C
- Max operating temperature: 80 degrees C
- Corrosion resistance: Totally corrosion free
- Chemical resistance: Resistant to most dilutants such as acetone, benzene, thinners
- Automotive fluid resistance: Limited resistance to brake fluids and acids
- Density: Approximately 1.7 kg/qdm (Aluminum 2.7, Titanium 4.5, Steel 7.9)
- Damage Tolerance: Similar to 2024 Aluminum
- Strength: Better than 2024 Aluminum
- Stiffness: Similar to 2024 Aluminum
Variable wall thicknesses can be created anywhere as needed in order to increase strength where required.
Fibers are oriented in the direction of stress in order to increase strength.
BST has a patented process for the manufacture of a monocoque (single unit) hollow spoke wheel.